Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Stowaway

Yesterday, I woke up very sick to my stomach. I was very surprised because I had been here a week with no problems, and I hadn´t eaten anything outside of the house for a couple of days. Since Doña is very adament about food safety, I couldn´t think of what I could have possibly eaten to get so sick.

By noon I felt bad enough that I called my coordinator to see what I should do. She called a doctor for me and I had a test done. The doctor told me that I had a parasite. But, he said that this parasite takes three weeks to incubate before you show symptoms, which means I got it from something I had eaten at home and brought it here. He prescribed some medicine to stop my stomach from cramping for that evening, and then a course of pills to take twice a day for ten days to get rid of the parasites.

Today, I am feeling a lot better, and I´ve been entertained by the jokes about my ¨gringo parasite.¨

No comments:

Post a Comment