Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Procession of the Donkey

I found out last night that all of the small processions in the weeks leading up to semana santa are a way for the churches to raise money for the bigger processions this week. Doña explained that they have to pay for everything they use and pay all the people and musicians involved.

This morning was the first big procession, called the procession of the donkey (procesion de la burrita). It represents Jesus entering Jerusalem on a donkey while the people laid down palms for him. I went along with everyone from the house, plus the two grandchildren that Doña cares for. Before the procession began, people set off fireworks down the street on the path that the procession would follow. Then, a large group from the church including priests and other clergy members passed by. The sides of the street started to fill with people who were walking along with the procession. A lot of people carried palms in their hands, which they held up as they walked. There are also palms on each stop sign in town.

Next was the stutue of Jesus atop the donkey, led by a man and surrounded by people watching and taking pictures. After that, the street filled up with people and we all followed the procession to the central park and the cathedral. I watched the cathedral fill up with people holding their palms up, while the bells rang quickly and repeatedly and more fireworks went off nearby.

I took some photos of the procession, and I also took some that show how many people followed in the procession. In the park, Doña had me take a photo of the three children, which came out really nice. I want to see if I can have it printed as a thank you for her.


Meanwhile, I am feeling a lot better. Doña has been really accomodating as always, serving me boiled potatoes and maduro for dinner and cornflakes with soy milk for breakfast. The medicine I am taking is pretty strong and makes me want to sleep all day, and it also gives me a pretty bad headache, but Im hoping by tomorrow I will be more used to it. I am still excited about my internship and I want to get some work done!

No comments:

Post a Comment